Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sweeter Than Chocolate

I started my new fall Bible study today. It officially starts on Monday but I got my book and just couldn't wait. The six week on-line study will take us through Psalm 119. This very, very long Psalm has as its theme the Word of God. If you read it you will see it is filled with that key word and many synonyms such as law, commandments, precepts, statutes, ordinances and one of my favorites - the Torah of Hashem. I have a lovely copy of the Tanach which is the Hebrew Old Testament. 

It felt good to surround myself with different translations of the Bible this afternoon as I began to look at the Scriptures.

The New International Version
I bought this one recently for the large print and to help keep the local Christian bookstore in business!
The Tanach
This book reads from right to left and has the original Hebrew text. (Click on the picture to see it close up.) It's really cool and makes me feel studious. ha  Of course it only contains the Old Covenant.
It gets a bit confusing when I switch Bibles because I have to remember which way to turn the page.
The cover
I bought this lovely edition when I was in San Diego visiting my friend Angela. She attends a Jews for Jesus synagogue and having this Torah brings back very happy memories of my time with her. 
Oh, how I love thy Word!!!

The internet is also a great place to print out passages in different translations. I printed out the Amplified Bible Version of the longest Psalm. I'm not sure how many pages THAT took but there were quite a few. My computer went wonky and printed out more than one set, so my Tuesday night girls will each get a personal copy to use. It's great to do this because you can use them as observation worksheets and mark them up to your heart's content! I'm trying to keep my new Bible free from marks but in 39 years that has never happened, so we'll see!
I'll paraphrase and share one of the verses that I walked away with today:
"The introduction, entrance and unfolding of God's Word gives light." (vs 130)
I liked this three part process as it helps us to break it down in our minds but somehow I think it happens simultaneously and oh, so beautifully!
God's word is introduced to us. It enters into us and then begins to unfold itself in our heart and mind. We are to occupy ourselves with the Word of God. When something is unfolded secrets are revealed, the hidden things come to light. There is always more than meets the eye but we have to give ourselves to knowing God. He has so much in store for each and every one of us.
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!

(If you are interested in doing this study or peeking in on it through the next seven weeks you will find more information here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment