Monday, September 14, 2009

Emotional Arithmetic

This is not a book, but a movie that I saw last week that boasted of a very prominent cast of actors. It was introduced at the 2007 Toronto Film Festival. (click here for trailer). It was one of those movies that I didn't expect to appear on my screen one cozy night. It was a surprise brought to me thanks to modern programming.

The character Jakob recites a poem that he had written after surviving the Holocaust. I can't quote the whole thing but it made an impact on me. Here's a paraphrase.

"I was asked, 'Do you believe in God?' and I answered, 'No, not yet.'
I have seen the birth of precious babies and counted all their fingers and their little toes.
I have seen the love between a man and a woman.
But I have also seen these same creations thrown into the gas chambers and go without food.
Now when I am asked, 'Do you believe in God?' I answer, 'Does God believe in me?"

I am happy to say that by the end of the movie, you see Jakob walking hand in hand with a little boy heading toward the landscape of the lake.

Hard questions. Hard answers.

We try hard to forget pain and suffering but unless it is healed it remains in the form of troubled memories or exposes itself in compulsive behaviors, etc. etc. This is a good movie about remembering.

Early today I was thinking that we often want quick fixes and easy answers. It's hard to sit with our doubts and questions for very long. We settle for the pat answer. We accept Leah for Rachel, so to speak.

As hard as it is, it is much better to be honest before God and with ourselves so that God can truly reveal His Love and speak true wisdom and healing into our emotionally battered hearts.

Does God believe in you? Just ask Him - again and again, until you receive that assurance and hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment